TikTok’s Opponents Seize 44% Share of U.S. Video-Sharing App Installs in August, Up from 24% in January

The specter of TikTok being banned in the US resulted in a spike in downloads for its competitors in July. Nevertheless, these different apps have been preventing to extend their market share since earlier than the start of 2020—and so they’ve been steadily making progress. An evaluation of Sensor Tower Store Intelligence knowledge on the highest 5 video-sharing apps throughout U.S. app shops in January of this yr revealed that TikTok commanded roughly 76 % of installs, whereas the remaining 4 collectively represented the remaining 24 %. In August, the market share of ByteDance’s 4 largest rivals had climbed to 44 %, shrinking TikTok’s share by 20 proportion factors within the course of.

TikTok Alternate options’ Rising Audiences

Though installs had been down month-over-month for TikTok in addition to its rivals in August, Sensor Tower knowledge exhibits that TikTok’s rivals among the many prime 5 video-sharing apps within the U.S. every month grew their month-to-month lively customers. In August, the cohort’s mixed U.S. MAUs throughout iOS and Android gadgets climbed 12 % from July, and had been 49 % greater than January. This will likely point out that these different video-sharing apps are creating some lasting attraction amongst customers who’re test-driving a possible TikTok substitute.

TikTok's competitors grew their market share to 44% in August 2020

Since January, Triller and Likee have persistently ranked within the prime 5 most-downloaded video-sharing apps within the U.S. every month, marking them as potential frontrunners within the race for a share of TikTok’s viewers. Nevertheless, no clear winner has but emerged amongst ByteDance’s rivals, and TikTok remains to be main the pack on this class. Regardless of the uncertainty round its future, TikTok’s mixed MAUs throughout the U.S. App Retailer and Google Play have grown 51 % from January to August and have elevated barely since June regardless of the specter of a ban.

The Worth of TikTok’s Viewers

If TikTok’s rivals can declare even a portion of ByteDance’s sizable consumer base, they stand to realize entry to an enormous viewers and the chance to promote to them. TikTok’s customers are additionally rising more and more accustomed to spending cash within the app, which might bode effectively for rivals’ income prospects. Within the first eight months of this yr, worldwide shopper spending in TikTok, spent on Cash for tipping content material creators, reached $592 million on the App Retailer, together with Douyin on iOS in China. This determine represents practically one-fifth of the $3 billion generated by apps within the leisure class on the App Retailer globally.

In that very same interval, TikTok generated practically $35 million in consumer spending from the U.S. App Retailer, or slightly greater than 4 % of the $850 million shoppers spent on Leisure apps on that platform. On Google Play, the place TikTok is categorized as a Social app, U.S. shoppers spent roughly $6.6 million, or 4 % of the roughly $181 million generated by apps in that class.

At this stage, it’s unattainable to foretell whether or not TikTok’s rivals will be capable to seize the identical diploma of shopper spending, however a portion of the income might very effectively go to different apps, particularly as they develop their market share.

Extra Selections for Shoppers

Instagram rolled out Reels on its platform on August 5, whereas YouTube and Snapchat are each including options they hope will entice TikTok’s devoted consumer base. Although Reels hasn’t impacted Instagram’s installs in any considerable means since its debut, Sensor Tower knowledge exhibits that the app’s common weekly lively customers throughout each platforms within the U.S. elevated barely in August from the month earlier than.

Even when the TikTok isn’t in the end faraway from U.S. app shops, its customers now have a plethora of options and choices to select from—and builders will undoubtedly proceed to innovate because the competitors intensifies.

Sensor Tower’s Retailer Intelligence platform is an Enterprise degree providing. Occupied with studying extra?

Request-demo

Recent Articles

FAU-G Sport App is Accessible Now: Easy methods to Obtain on Android

FAU-G, aka Fearless and United Guards, is now obtainable to obtain on Google Play. The sport has been developed by nCore Video games and...

The long-awaited Biomutant has a launch date — Could 25, 2021

Biomutant is an action-RPG from Experiment 101 and THQ Nordic, underneath Embracer Group). First introduced again in 2017, there have been a number of...

Envisioning higher well being outcomes for all

The present covid-19 pandemic has shined the highlight on longstanding well being inequities for individuals of shade. In line with the Facilities for Illness...

Related Stories

Stay on op - Ge the daily news in your inbox